I was wrong.
I've completed the bird's nest I hoped to make and the results are undeniably adorable, but the project was a major pain in the bum. It took me, like, four hours to make one little nest, and I'm still not 100% satisfied with the results! But take a look and tell me what you think.
I made an armature with green garden wire from the Dollarama. You can totally see it showing through in the photo above - another annoying problem. I wove and wove and wove, adding more and more and more sticks, but still, the wire shows through in places. In the end, I gave up on weaving and resorted to using a glue gun to speed up the process.
So anyway - that's where I stand on the DIY bird's nest project. It's okay, but I wouldn't recommend it. You'd be better off taking plenty of hikes and walks and keeping your eyes peeled for a real nest, if you want to replicate the look.
Here are some more pictures. The last one will give you a better idea of scale. This thing is SMALL. And it took more than FOUR HOURS.