Full disclosure: I am NOT a mom. I am an aunt to two adorable ankle biters and I was a Brownie Troupe Leader (a Tawny Owl, thankyouverymuch) for several years. So... there.
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup regular table salt
- 1/2 cup cream of tartar (which is a sort of acid salt that you can get at bakery and grocery stores - shown)
- 4 cups water
- 4 tablespoons oil (cooking oil is fine)
- Food colouring
- Sift all the dry ingredients into a pot (the flour, the salt, the cream of tartar) and make sure they're well mixed, then add the wet ingredients (the oil, and the water, but NOT the food colouring).
- Place over low heat and stir until the mixture forms a dough (which will take about 10 minutes)
- Let the dough cool then separate into balls (about 6).
- Knead each ball with food colouring to make your colours. Use more colouring for saturated colours, less for pastels. Be creative!
- Put each ball in it's own little zip lock baggie and refrigerate.
* Truck image by Chrissi Nerantzi from Stock.Xchng.