It was... ugly.
I hated the Armstrong lino floor. It was barf. Blarf, even. I tried to like it, but I couldn't. It was also dingy and had a tear. So... I started peeling it off. The first pieces came off easily.
And I couldn't find any trades to help me.
But whatevs, right. It galvanized me to do the work myself.
I just couldn't decide on a flooring, though, so in the end I decided to just paint the subfloor with porch paint and live with that for awhile until I found something more permanent.
Painted subfloor, yaaaaas.
I am actually so glad I did this. I like it way better than any tile or lino or vinyl I've found so far. And it's not hard. It's a lot of repetitive steps, but not difficult. Just boring.
Step one: Google a lot. Many many people have done this project with various levels of success. I went about it like this: I rented a floor sander for four hours ($50 USD) and smoothed out my repair compound, and removed some of the excess glue patches. It took less than an hour, really. It's just that four hours was the shortest rental time I could get. It was such a small area that I could have done it with my hand sander, and in retrospect, maybe I should have. I made some major dents with the floor sander. But it was fast and a good learning experience so I'm glad I did it. And it was pretty easy. VERY dusty. I didn't do a super-smooth job because I ultimately expect to cover this with "real" flooring anyway.
Next: I used primer, then Behr floor and porch paint, then water-based satin poly (because I wanted it to be easy to clean). Then I let it cure for A MONTH before moving the heavy furniture back in.
I decided I just couldn't live with something that might make me miss one in the future. So. No spots. No splatters.
But I felt the floor needed something.
I tried a rug from World Market.
And we're back to plain white and the room is still not done (but it's close! very close!). In my next post, I'll try to do a full reveal.
In the meantime, the baby has been calling it the "ice rink".