Picture
Picture
The first thing you should know about my bathroom makeover is that even before I set out to make it nice, I had to make it livable. Before I moved in, this bathroom was icky, complete with filthy tub, moldy shower curtain, and a thick coating of dust and dead bugs on the light. So the first thing I did was a basic deep clean. And then for a year, I didn't get much further.

I felt trapped by the peachy-pink tumbled marble that seemed to border everything. (In fact, there isn't much. But it's PEACH, okay?)

My landlord rescued said marble from a tear-down in Toronto's historic Rosedale neighbourhood and installed it a mere three years ago. I felt saddled with it. What goes with dull peach marble? Nothing. And then, it hit me: Chocolate. I decided to go dark - something I'd never done before, but first...
Picture



I had to strip everything out of the room. AND, even though this place is a rental, I felt I had to do some repairs. We have no bathroom fan, and as a result, our paint was peeling. I knew my landlord would fix it... eventually, but that it wasn't a priority, so I decided to take on the repair myself.

Picture
Picture
As more and more paint peeled away and I realized how much work I'd created, I regretted my choice. First, peeling. Then, sanding. Then, spackle. Then, primer. Eesh.

Now that's it all done, I'm glad, but let me tell you, I was CURSING my gung-ho attitude...




until I started making progress.

Thanks to some inexpensive products, I think I made a pretty big change. For the record, here's what I used: Mold-resistant primer; CIL Dimensions paint in a pre-mixed shade called Chocolate Kiss; white Ikea curtains that I had kicking around from my old apartment; two plain white bedsheets (and plastic liners) to make a textural shower curtain; cupboard and hanging hardware from Anthropologie (the fish were on sale for $2.95 each!); and a bunch of thrifted finds (like the art and the mirrors).

Some products:
Picture
The results:
Picture
Picture
Picture
Picture
What do you think? I'd say the change is pretty major, especially considering the minor expense. Not bad for a single's day's work, eh? Small changes can make such a big difference.
Picture
 


Comments

Kelly
07/10/2010 7:58pm

Wow, Jen! It looks fantastic, but I'm curious about these bed sheets as "textured" shower curtain--did you do something more to them? Such a good idea; I also imagined making cutouts in them and using a colored liner...not sure it would fit in this particular remodel, but you've got me thinking!

Reply
07/10/2010 8:28pm

Thanks, Kelly! I should have explained exactly what I did with the bedsheets.

I used two curtains, because my shower rod wraps around the tub. So I just this twice, using one white flat sheets, twin size, each time.

Initially, I just poked holes through the hem to hook them to the rod, but I hung them vertically rather than horizontally, and because of the length, they dragged on the floor.

So, I took the lower right corner of each sheet (the right corner that was dragging) and hooked it up to the last, or twelfth curtain hook, creating a sort of bustle, like how a wedding dress train might be hitched up for dancing.

So, basically, the top of the flat sheet (the part that goes at the head of the bed) was hooked to the rod at twelve regular intervals, and the bottom right corner of the sheet was hooked to the rightmost twelfth hook as well.

I have no idea if this makes sense, but I like how it looks. Just like a big cloudy blob of white.

Reply
07/10/2010 10:02pm

Jen, I'd say the brown color looks great. Especially contrasted against the bright white trim and fixtures. Awesome work on the thrifted finds too. Very cozy results.

Reply
Craig
07/22/2010 9:56pm

Jen, looking really good!

Reply



Leave a Reply